Life gets crazy sometimes, or at least mine does. A toddler and a preschooler running around, and another baby on the way very soon, combined with work and life in general- it just gets crazy. We’ve all read the funny posts about “how to enjoy your morning coffee in 73 steps with a toddler,” or how frivolous it sometimes can be to attempt to clean your house with a toddler (I recall something relating it to eating Oreos while brushing your teeth). While all of these are true, and often hilarious, I truly hope that it is all what we as mothers, as parents, expected before having our children. I knew that my house would be messier than I would like and my back would ache quite often, and while I can’t say that these things excite me, I am content with the small bumps along the way because I am raising smart, healthy, happy children.
But there a few things that I never thought would be so hard to keep up with, most of them so obvious that it’s comical, and I wanted to share those!
- LAUNDRY. I am aware that there are days each person in my house wears 2+ outfits (pajamas, clothes, sometimes replaced by different clothes after school or work).. but I am telling you that my laundry gets together and has laundry babies. Because there’s just no other explanation for the amount of laundry we produce on a daily.. weekly.. monthly basis! Not only have the clothes themselves grown (obviously my 3 year old isn’t still wearing tiny newborn clothes), but they just must be multiplying..
- Other Laundry. On top of the clothes, there are all of the things you never thought of when there were just the two of you. Sure, maybe once a week you had to wash sheets or towels.. how about every 3 days? Not only do the clothes grow as the children grow, but so do the size of their bed sheets and towels! (I won’t complain about the extra 2 loads of laundry I do every week for diapers, because it is more convenient than running out for a box of them!)
- Feeding the children. Some days, I feel like they never stop eating. There was a day a few weeks ago, that by noon, I actually thought “I have no idea what else to feed you because you’ve eaten everything I know of that you like!” There are often screams of “I’m hungry!!!” without the real need for a scream.. kids can truly be bottomless pits when it comes to food if they’re going through a growth spurt!
- Hygenie. I’m not talking the early days of “I can’t remember when I last showered,” but the things like- I could have sworn I cut those talons you call fingernails just 2 days ago and they’re already out of control! Also, “find where I hid my toothbrush” is a beloved game played often by my children, how about yours!?
- Batteries. Why does every toy need a battery, or five? And the fun ones are never AA, they’re always C.. or AAA.. or something ridiculous like that. When one goes, they all go. We’ve started buying stock at Sam’s Club, and then pretending things are just entirely broken when it’s too much to replace the batteries in the fifth toy of the day.
What do you think fellow supermom, what is stressful or difficult or exhausting about being a parent that you hadn’t thought about before having kids?